2017 Scene & Story #4



This photo is my favorite for the month.

First, I love seeing my husband cut stuff, weld, and use tools and fire to make things. I don't normally intrude on his workspace just like he doesn't hang around my laptop. He's different out in the garage. When he's doing physically strenuous work, he breathes heavily and walks like a predator. It's fun to peek at him in that element. I see his intellectual and emotional strength all the time as the dad to our kids. The intellect and fortitude it takes to plan these garage projects engage a different part of his brain and it's awesome to me. 

In the picture he's grinding down a weld on a part of the jig he's using to keep everything "Straight, Centered, and Level," he said, while he reworks his motorcycle frame. Part of the jig is from a friend. He bought the parts for the rest of it and painstakingly planned how to join the pieces. The amount of preparation needed to keep things straight, centered, and level while he tears down and rebuilds something requires focus. 


Also, my word of the year is Ignite. Every idea is like a spark. Most fizzle and disappear. Some burn a freaking hole in my shirt. But every once in a while, one spark will ignite a fantastic flame. I left the comfort of my desk to capture birds with my lens, but I saw this blazing intensity and couldn't pass it up.


For all of 2017, I'm joining Lee from Sea Blue Lens and Sarah from Paisley Rain Boots for a monthly Scene and Story Linkup. Visit them and all the other contributors. They are my photography inspiration!

12 comments:

  1. How great to see and appreciate this trait in your husbands character! Also you have a very good word for the year! Like that

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this capture of your husband. Such a story to tell with it. Perfect word for it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this photo, and to learn from your story that it's of your husband is even better. Your description of how he changes when he's working with his hands in the garage paints a vivid word picture to go along with those flying sparks. So glad you shared this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful photo! It is full of energy, and I love the story you tell with it. It feels like a love note - beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I smiled as I read how you and your husband respect each other's space. Very wise decision from both of you.

    This image with sparks flying brings to mind a lot of things, but the one I keep hearing is 'refiner's fire'. I'm thinking of how heat or fire changes what it touches and often makes it stronger, better, more beautiful. That is, if used intentionally for good.

    Who knows what can be ignited just with an image and some writing....

    ReplyDelete
  6. As was looking over the link-up images on Sarah's blog, your's caught my attention. Although such a small image, I could tell that the sparks we flying. Love the image and your story too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the composition of your photo. It captures the story you told with words. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great shot of those sparks flying and your husband doing things in an environment he loves!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I adore this photo. My Dad was welder. This has 'sparked' tears. He passed away 19 years ago. I miss him so.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVE tools and so this is fantastic! But, even better is your observation of your husband. So few would take the time to really see what you see in his actions. Or maybe not that they don't take the time, but that they don't have the gift to see that beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your photo and your word of the year. So inspiring!!!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear what you think!