2017 Scene and Story #3




This robin graciously let me snap dozens of pictures while he flipped over fallen leaves with his beak and tested the weight of dried twigs.

There were several robins out that day, braving the gusty cool air. This one caught my eye because his rusty red coloring was extra rusty.

He was watching me as I documented his afternoon activities. He was a little puffier on top of his head and on his breast, which gave him a worn out, roughed-up look. 

When he found this weathered crabapple still attached to the branch from last fall, I captured this image just before he flew away.

I imagined him savoring the fermented fruit alone in his dilapidated nest, wishing he hadn't neglected his robin wife who had left him as soon as it was warm enough to seek out a new nesting spot.



Of course, he was wondering why a human was sprawled out on the driveway cradling a used DSLR camera instead of making bread, vacuuming her minivan, or doing other useful human things. 

He probably imagined me opening the image files on my computer and squinting my eyes at the screen hoping to see more in the pictures than was actually there.

He surely smelled my frustration and noted the extra puffy crest of hair on my head, which warned him that I was having a rough day. 

I wasn't - having a rough day, that is. I just tend to look like that sometimes. I enjoyed watching this birdie for a while and promptly ordered a nicer lens for my camera. Next month: sharper images, in better light!



I'm on a journey to take more intentional photos and have joined my friends at Paisley Rain Boots and Sea Blue Lens for their monthly Scene and Story Link-up. Check out their inspiring images and blogs from the heart.






26 comments:

  1. Love this shot of the robin. We have had robins here already which is crazy for February. What lens did you get?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got the 55-250 mm lens for my Canon. It's a huge upgrade for a modest investment. It arrived today and I love it!

      Delete
  2. Well you certainly captured this little robin so nicely with his little crab-apple treat! I hope he shared it with his wife?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) The story about him being grizzled and newly divorced was silly, but cracked me up for some reason.

      Delete
  3. You know, this is a really beautiful image of the robin. I like the silhouette, and the moment you captured him is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I sat still for much longer than I'm comfortable sitting and tried to disappear into the environment.

      Delete
  4. I love the silhouette of this dear Robin. What a beautiful shot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I feel lucky to have so many kinds of wildlife not far from my house.

      Delete
  5. I too like your image...but I love the story! The thoughts each of your are thinking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Carol. I make up back stories for animals all the time. I should tell you the one about the two squirrels in a fierce rivalry over the peach tree.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thank you! I have fallen in love with bird watching this year. They have great personalities.

      Delete
  7. I loved your musing - both for yourself and the bird! The silhouette is perfect for your story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I feel like the image would lend itself to a nice desktop wallpaper. :)

      Delete
  8. I love the silhouette of bird and branches, and your accompanying narrative made me smile. A wonderful Scene & Story, Rachel - and I can't wait to see what you will do with that new lens!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! The lens did not disappoint. I'll be able to get closer in this month.

      Delete
  9. A beautiful image and a great read this morning that has me smiling! Our robins have returned. A little too early in my opinion, but I guess they know what they're doing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt it was early for us to have robins too. A little disconcerting, but I love hearing the birdie chatter. It's cheerful.

      Delete
  10. It is so hard to capture a good image of a bird. You did it and with your 'old' lens. :) I have often wondered what animals, or neighbors, are thinking when they see me outside taking pictures of who-knows-what. Your story put a smile on my face. Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't have known how tough birds are to photograph until this year. I have taken countless photos -- too far away, blurry, just hilarious attempts. It has gotten me out into nature more, which is always a great thing.

      Delete
  11. I am big fan of silhouettes, bent branches, berries and birds... so this is wonderful! Haven't seen any robins in NH yet...soon, I hope!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You can't go wrong with bent branches. They are the perfect frames arranged in a golden ratio.

      Delete
  12. Beautiful shots and delightful little story. thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Masha! I'd be delighted if I've added a small percentage of the happiness and inspiration you share on your blog.

      Delete
  13. Oh, I love robins... there's been a few books that have scenes with robins in them I remember. There was one in The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe who led the children to the Beavers! Gorgeous photos. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had forgotten that. I am a literary symbolism nut. I believe they can represent renewal and fresh beginnings. Of course, my robin may have been near the end of his life cycle sadly. The next step is always renewal, though.

      Delete

I would love to hear what you think!