Changing Focus

Sue Monk Kidd said that a novelist needs to write her own story over and over until it's thoroughly understood. Then she can let it go and start making new stories. When I read that I thought, "Ohhhh, that's what I've been doing."

I recently changed the focus of my blog and the spirit of my work. My goal is no longer to find joy through the bipolar lens. 


I found it.


I kicked over trash cans, wrestled demons, got quiet and still, cried some, lost loved ones, and shared my experiences in the process.

Although I still carefully manage my mood disorder, it's not the biggest part of me. It's there, but it doesn't lurk in the shadows. I dragged it all out into the light so I could properly see it. It has been demystified, accepted, and incorporated into this beautiful life.


I'm ready for something more.


For the last year, I've been working on fiction more than anything else. I've written several short stories and a novel. Writing is still the best therapy for me. It's the best chance I have to express myself and be a whole person. 

To celebrate my new trajectory, I'll be starting a beta reader group for my novel, The Eye that Never Closes.

It's 80% finished. I have 27 chapters and a complete story, but there are still a few knots that need to be smoothed. I have worked with a developmental editor already. I'll hire a content editor, a proofreader, and a cover designer in that order. 

When those steps are complete, I'll put the ebook on Amazon for sale and also hire a print-on-demand service for people like me, who still want to have pages to flip and dog-ear, and then smooth down with their fingertips the next time they settle back into that world.

In the meantime, I started another series, because it is ready to get out of my head. 

Check out the first chapter of another book:  Two Halves of the Apple

The idea behind this work is that every story has a God and a Devil. Every story has an Adam and Eve. It's inspired by imagining my brother and my uncle, both recently deceased, hanging out on the other side of this existence, continuing their spiritual journey.

By sharing my writing in non-traditional ways, publishing it myself, and stamping it with my own name, I'm circumventing the process of waiting for someone else to decide it's important. The stories are important because they bring me joy, and my wish is that other people who will gain something from reading my fiction will find it and pass it along.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you think!