BLOGS!


When I hear: "Everyone has a blog now." I nod my head and say, "Yes!" in an excited way because this is a good thing.



5 Reasons Blogs are Important


1.  Blogs are the democratization of writing. 

2.  They represent an independent spirit.

3.  It means people are brave enough to put themselves out there.  Bloggers either believe in their message enough to craft it into art, or they want to celebrate their families and share their special moments with others.

4.  They can awaken both writer and reader to a better life.

5.  Some blogs are the needed boost to push a writer on to something greater.





     
For me, writing is essential to every part of my existence. I write to function in basic ways -- to balance out unpredictable mood swings and primal outbursts. It helps me to know my own mind. It is a meditative practice in which each feeling and urge is broken down into its tiniest components. This helps me overcome brutish instincts and feed the more enlightened parts of myself.

        I write to stop time and for the safety of my memories.  I take comfort in the ritual of preserving the agonizing or joyful moments that stand out to me.  Anxiety and paranoia force a mind to repeatedly endure trauma and magnify its pain. Writing helps me look deeper into the scene to perceive it differently. I can bring greater focus to happy milestones that seem to get fuzzier each time I recall them, as well. In this way, recording the tiniest details of an event creates a work of art to be appreciated later in life.  It can also pinpoint precise moments in time that a person’s life shifts.

I write to use my voice. I cannot  and should not try to control other people. Loved ones who shrink from conversations and hide from pain may not ever change, speak, or listen. I will most likely never have the chance to ask them crucial questions and convey my outrage, or compassion, or love for them. Writing these feelings takes them out of my mind’s treadmill and releases them to angels whose job it is to carry away such burdens. I write to be heard and understood on my terms. The act of writing allows me to create my own sense of belonging regardless of how my family may treat me.

        I write to remind myself that my brain is capable of intelligent thought. A well-planned grocery list is a beautiful thing, but it is completed out of necessity. My writing is not for anyone else'e nutrition, cleanliness, or safety, but it feeds the parts of me that keep me both grounded and connected to the divine. It is just for the original me, not the wife, or the Mommy, or the "me" I put on sometimes as a front. It reminds me that even though I have sacrificed a traditional career for my children, I still have all the raw materials to be an inspiring woman outside of my family.

         Most importantly, I write to more purposefully shape the world into a loving place. I  choose to reveal the light that is here instead of shrinking into the darkness. The best way for me to make that light known is with carefully chosen words. Arranged in just the right order, those words can wake people up and wrap them in a loving embrace.



9 comments:

  1. I love the idea of blogs awakening reader and writer to a better life! Writing makes me a better person, and I want my writing enriches my readers in some way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment, Angie. Makes me think of the word "illumination" :)

      Delete
  2. Your post spoke to me, especially this part: " Writing these feelings takes them out of my mind’s treadmill and releases them to angels whose job it is to carry away such burdens...The act of writing allows me to create my own sense of belonging regardless of how my family may treat me." Because you put into words how I feel about the treadmill of anxious thoughts until I can spill them onto the page, and how much writing helps me survive my family. I am reminded of this saying: "You think you are enlightened? Go spend a weekend with your family."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting, Lizbeth! I love your saying about family. I think I am "that family" though, too. I probably test others even though I don't intend to. :)

      Delete
  3. I loved the bit about writing to remind yourself that your brain is capable of intelligent thought! That's me a lot of the time. I work with children all day long, and I enjoy writing for a different audience, as well as just for me. Just popping by via Blogging from the Heart! Linda. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting, Linda. I've realized that when I'm writing for just myself I don't usually write past the first layer of feelings - mostly negativity. When I'm writing for others, I dig deeper.

      Delete
  4. Great post! I know that I would not be the person I am today without my blog and the creative journey it has taken me on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, and I agree. I am always grateful for this space!

      Delete

I would love to hear what you think!