The Best Book I've Ever Read

This is a joke between my husband and me.  About 5 times a year, I will shake Michael awake in the middle of the night or attack him when he walks in the door from work and share a verbal book report.  


Oh my goodness!  This  is the best book I have ever read.  This woman - this author - she just wrote from such an honest place.  It is crazy how much I loved her story.  She talks about addiction and messes and God and friends and being a mother like she pulled all those feelings right out of my heart and put them into funny, beautiful words...

My latest book report was about Carry On Warrior, The Power of Embracing Your Messy, Beautiful Life, by Glennon Doyle Melton.

This was a book I had seen quoted a couple of times on Facebook and by other authors I read regularly.  These quotes were poignant and made me feel like she was "my people."  Since I am eternally in the middle of reading 20 or more books at a time, it still wasn't enough to get me to read it.

Then I saw it listed at the top of a sister blogger's (Brook Andreoli) recommended reading list.  That was it.  I had been nudged enough.  I am really glad I read it.  As part of Mother's Day in our house, I was allowed to read, in silence and uninterrupted, for a glorious amount of time.  Here are some of the things she said that made me feel like I was looking truth right in the face:

I started writing a few months later, so that I could tell my truth recklessly to more people. After reading a few of my essays, my dad, Bubba, called and said, "Glennon, Don't you think there are some things you should take to the grave?" I thought hard for a moment and said, "No, I really don't. That sounds horrible to me I don't want to take anything to the grave. I want to die used up and emptied out.  I don't want to carry around anything that I don't have to. I want to travel light."


Reading is my inhale and writing is my exhale.


We're not often permitted to tell the truth in everyday life...We find out early that telling the whole truth makes people uncomfortable and is certainly not ladylike or likely to make us popular, so we learn to lie sweetly so that we can be loved.

I could retype the whole book for you, but you should just read it yourself.

3 comments:

  1. Rachel I love your freshness and realness.
    I've considered reading this book a few times and always been put off somehow. It interesting that you had the same experience and are glad you read it now. Maybe this will be my push... will see.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment! I hope that, like Glennon Doyle Melton, being fresh and real will help other people feel okay to do the same. I spent a lot of time trying to be the polite person. (I wasn't always successful.) It wasn't until I saw my daughter starting to do it that I saw how stifling it was.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This makes me laugh. There are quite a few people in my life that wish I would just keep things to myself. It's like it's just physically impossible. Why is that? Sometimes I wish I could just be like other people, and not emotionally puke all over everything. I just. can't. do. it. Gotta puke.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear what you think!