Jesus Christ

Here’s something I learned last week. Using Christ’s name on the internet causes serious waves. 

Some are telling me that I must think all people need Christ to be good and since they don’t believe in Christ they can’t possibly be good people in my eyes.

Some are telling me I’m not Christy enough.



Some are telling me I’m just too Christy and I can tell they have lost interest in what I have to say.

As a person who had to learn over a period of 20 years that it was truly okay to listen to what I felt and believed, I’m going to respond like this to all the above parties:
For me, right this moment, I love looking at the historical man Jesus Christ, and Christ the Ascended Master, and Christ, the son of Heavenly Father who came to Earth for the Atonement.  I am learning so much from the records of his life and the various interpretations of those texts.  But more importantly, I am listening to how I feel when I let in that light. 



Growing up in the Pentecostal tradition in the South and then trying to leave all that behind in a suburban Chicago high school really twists a person’s mind up. These were two different worlds.  It actually never occurred to me that I could have my own truth somewhere in between.

I’m a smart woman.  I was a straight-A student, but I really didn’t know that it was okay to listen to what I felt.  That is a dangerous place to be.  If you’ve ever tried to live your life according to someone else’s standards you will completely understand when I say it can and will put your light out.

It has taken me years of false starts and compartmentalizing and soul-searching to understand that I can love what Jesus represents and also not love all the things that modern Christians represent.


So, in the interest of revealing a little more of how I came  to reconsider the existence of a Higher Power after denying it for most of my adult life…  I give you Chapter 7



No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you think!