Spiral Staircase

Today I was struck by a revelation that I possibly hadn't healed from an old wound after all. Something wasn't sitting right in my gut for days.  I was sad, burdened, cranky.

In talking with a close friend about it, she reminded me that we had talked about the very same thing before...twice.  (My friend is very patient.) 

She reminded me that we don't just learn lessons once -- the spiritually important ones, that is.

In fact, old patterns will repeat.  If we envision ourselves on a spiral staircase, looking at the same issue from a (hopefully) higher, more enlightened level than the last time we can process the whys and hows even more completely than the last time.



This particular problem has haunted me.  I wanted to believe it was put to rest.  Actually, it just came back around at a new time in my life when I had the chance to look at it in a different way.

This time around, I have gratitude for the experience.

I think I might even throw in a little forgiveness and understanding, too.

This new level of the spiral was painful.  I have been so incredibly happy and in love with my life.  This made the downswing seem that much larger.

The alternative is to let it fester, cover it with a bandage and hope it goes away. 

Fortunately, I don't cover anything up.  Silence is golden until it's suffocating.  Then you need to whisper it, sing it, scream it. 

Then the upswing is that much sweeter.  That is what freedom feels like.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you think!