I Can't Do This!

My son had been crying for 10 minutes.  He was making a mural for his dad and it was ruined.  

He wouldn't even let me hug him.  

When there was a break in the crying I opened the door and sat down on the floor next to him.


"You want to tell me what happened?"

"It's ruined!  I can't draw the whole picture over again!  I just can't."


       (Pause for parent to plan her words carefully...)


"I understand how disappointing it is to work hard at something.  You put in so much time and effort, and then it doesn't turn out the way you want."


       (Pause again because these words are actually meant for me, 
        too.  I am feeling the impact of words that I needed to hear just as much as my son.)

       (Lump forming in my throat.)


"Right now, you have to make it work.  Use your creativity and optimism to figure it out."


       (Pause to let my son contemplate the possibilities.)


"Okay Mom, I'll just think about for a little bit."


        (Mom is being dismissed.)


"Good."


I love it when I can apply things to my own situation.  


It took my son in tears to draw out the solution for both of us:  


I will remind myself to choose 
to make it work several times a day.


My original mission of sharing personal stories to help others heal and grow meshes beautifully with my new commitment to helping people remember they are worthy of joy and beauty in this life through fiction, too.


   



No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you think!