Life as a Masterpiece

If you have ever watched a French film and thought, "Nothing is happening in this movie!!!" you were probably not yet aware of the beauty of negative space.

As a French language student, I watched my fair share of French films.  For a long time, I struggled to understand the silence and the lack of movement or dialogue.

I had studied the "holes" in great literature and negative space in design.  I had experienced the excitement of a pause in music or rhythm that implied something significant was to follow.  It took me a much longer time to apply this concept to movies, and then to my own life.

Viewing a lifetime as a perfectly composed work of art gives us an equally interesting perspective.  For example, sometimes the most exquisite parts of life are made up of what is not said, goals not achieved, and the moments in between breaths and heartbeats.



In my early 30s, when depression was choking me, I was given a moment of inspiration.  I imagined myself 50 years in the future looking back on my life.  How beautiful I would seem to my aged self -- How exciting  it would be to know what adventures lay ahead -- How lucky I would feel to have those moments with loved ones again.

I would easily be able to define periods of reflection and relative calm, crescendos, pinnacles of joy, decrescendos, and the times when I lost sight of this varied landscape and had no hope.


The marvelous richness of the human experience would lose something of rewarding joy if there were no limitations to overcome.  The hilltop hour would not be half so wonderful if there were no dark valleys to traverse. 
                                                                                                 
-Helen Keller

1 comment:

I would love to hear what you think!