Fight to the Finish



The ART OF PEACE is not easy.  It is a fight to the finish, the slaying of evil desires and all falsehood within.  On occasion the Voice of Peace resounds like thunder, jolting human beings out of their stupor.
                                       The Art of Peace, by Morihei Ueshiba





To me, the "evil desires" in this fantastic quote include the tendency to easily slip into self-condemnation, to stray from the path that is best and healthiest for each of us individually, comparing our lives to someone else's, and either judging them or putting ourselves down.

After all, we are each living a unique masterpiece, complete with plot twists and supporting characters.  We cannot expect that each story will be the same as the next.



I view the collective choices we have made as a family as an ongoing effort to resist the chaotic pace that life can bring if we forget to keep at the center what is most important to us.



On a recent field trip to Laura Ingalls Wilder's farmhouse in rural Missouri, our tour guide helped us catch a glimpse of her daily life while we stood in the hearth room and sitting room of Laura and Almanzo's last home.  He said that their happiest evenings were spent together reading aloud from books, sharing popcorn, walnuts, and apples.



The house that Laura and Almanzo's daughter had built for them near the original farmhouse.


Aside from feeling like I was visiting my own personal mecca, this portrait of a family's closeness and the simplicity of their joy was enough to bring tears to my eyes. 

Before we left for our trip, my daughter had asked, "Mom, are you going to cry when we get there?"

I laughed and said, "You know I probably will."

Me in front of the farmhouse where Laura Ingalls Wilder wrote her novels.


We both knew that I would, at some point, become overwhelmed with joy and just shed a tear or two.  That is my watery way of acknowledging divine truth.

I figured it would be when I saw the desk where Laura wrote all the Little House on the Prairie books, with a shawl that Laura crocheted herself draped over the desk chair.

If it wasn't that, I thought surely when I heard that Laura loved dishes, just like I do...  Very cool, but no.

In fact, I held it together completely until I was standing amongst her books hearing the story of how she really preferred to just be with her family, sharing stories.

In that moment, it hit me that my daughter knew why this place would be so special for us to see.
  

She has been learning that being together as a family, knowing where you come from, and speaking your truth are all vital to happiness.



Excuse me while I get some more tissues.


1 comment:

I would love to hear what you think!